GSSA Funding


One of GSSA’s major functions is to make funding available to member departments and students for events, speakers and conference travel. Graduate students outside of GSSA may apply for funding to travel because it is partially funded by OGPS. However, they may only request up to $100 per travel period.

All funding must be approved BEFORE travel or event takes place. All event and speaker funding is handled through current GSSA representatives.

Additional travel funding opportunities may be available through:

Please see the pages for Event and Travel funding instructions. For questions about funding, see the FAQ or contact the GSSA Treasurer.


How do I get reimbursed for travel?

Follow the instructions on the travel funding page. Requests must be made through the GSSA Google document by each quarterly deadline. Travel funding packets are checked over by your department’s representatives and then brought to 200 Gibson Hall (to the front desk attendant).

How do I get reimbursed for events/speakers?

Follow the instructions on the event funding and speaker funding pages. GSSA representatives submit a request to the GSSA assembly where it is voted on. GSSA representatives are responsible for registering their event on WaveSync three weeks before their event. A request for the assembly meeting must be submitted via the Online Event Request at least four days prior to the meeting.

After the event, the packets are brought to the GSSA treasurer to be checked and then submitted to the accounting office. This can be done during the treasurer’s office hours.

What if I cannot make it to the scheduled office hours?

If it becomes necessary during the semester, additional office hours will be scheduled and posted on this page. If office hours conflict with your schedule, email the treasurer and a time for you to bring the packets to the treasurer can be scheduled.

How long do I have to turn in my packets?

You will have two weeks after the event or last day of the conference to turn in your forms and have them approved. If this deadline falls on a day in between the weekly office hours, the forms must be turned in at the next available office hours or they will not be accepted.

How will I get my refund and how long will it take?

For event funding, on the expense reimbursement forms you may choose between having a check mailed to you or picking it up at the Student Organization Center (SOC). Checks are set our for pickup late in the afternoon on Wednesdays. You will NOT be notified when your check is ready. Checks are mailed on Friday afternoon so they should arrive early the following week. Typically, the forms take four to six weeks from when they are turned in to process.


For travel funding, checks will be sent to OGPS and you will receive an email when your check is ready to be picked up.

I haven't seen my check, what do I do?

You can generally expect your check in four to six weeks after you hand in your paperwork. If there is an issue with your paperwork, you should be emailed using the email address listed on the expense reimbursement form. If you do not have your check after four to six weeks and have not received an email, let the treasurer know and a trace can be started.

How can I ensure that paperwork in not flawed and I get my money as quickly as possible?

Before accounting reimburses you, they want to make sure of two things:

  1. They want to make sure YOU spent the money. This means that you to hold on to original, itemized receipts and make sure they contain payment information, which is usually in the form of a credit card, PayPal or cash. Keep in mind that paying with cash is the leasy preferable way to get a reimbursement should any problems arise. IF YOU ARE NOT THE ONE WHO PAID FOR SOMETHING, YOU CANNOT RECEIVE THE REIMBURSEMENT.
  2. Accounting looks for proof that the money was spent on the correct items. With travel, this means original boarding passes need to be kept if you are being reimbursed for a plane ticket and that your program guide with your presentation highlighted needs to be used to show you went to the conference and presented. When dealing with events, organizational meetings require an attendance list with the date, name of the event and minutes.
What if I do not have an original itemized receipt?

You need to fill out a missing receipt affidavit and include it before the receipt in the packet. This form can be found at Tulane Accounts Payable Missing Receipt Affidavit Form.

What happens if I am receiving funding from multiple sources for the same airplane ticket?

Different funding sources may all require your original boarding passes. Check with the various sources and see who requires them. For the copies, on the page to which they should be taped, write down the contact information of whoever has the originals so accounting can contact them if necessary. Additionally, in the comments section of the Travel Itemization Form note who has the originals for all receipts.

How do I reimburse mileage for travel?

To reimburse mileage for car travel:

  • It must be your own vehicle (i.e. not a rental car).
  • Gas is not separately reimbursed, but is included in mileage.
  • Mileage will only be reimbursed if it is cheaper than airfare to your destination.
  • You must include a Google map showing the exact mileage from your start location to your finish location using the route you took.
How do I request payment for a department?

Departments can be paid either by an Interdepartmental Transfer (for reimbursement) or through an Interdepartmental Order (for services). Fill out the request form in WaveSync. When filling out the IT, please consult with your department administrator and have them fill out their account information for the transfer. During office hours, the GSSA treasurer can help you complete the IT.

Help! My question isn't here!

Contact the treasurer! If you have a problem (you can’t make the travel you’ve been approved for, you can’t make it back to campus to hand in your paperwork, etc.), the sooner you let the treasurer know, the better.